If you’re using an iPad
If you’re using an Illuminating Piano, you can connect to your iPad via Bluetooth.
For direct connect, you will need an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and a standard USB cable.
Using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and a standard USB cable, connect your iPad to your digital piano as shown below:
If you’re using a Mac
If you’re using an Illuminating Piano, you can connect to your Mac via Bluetooth.
If you’re using a Windows PC or Tablet or Mac
All you need to connect your device is a standard USB cable . Using the USB cable, connect your device with your digital piano.
- The following Windows operating systems are supported: Windows - Vista, 7, 8 and 10
- Download the software by going to our download page, and installing from there.
- Note: Windows RT is not supported
- Click on the App Store, represented by the circled "A" inside the blue icon
- In the search bar in the upper right, type in "McCarthy Music." Once the app comes up, select it and install
Our software does work with iPad 2 but it can be a bit finicky to set up.
Since iPad 2 doesn't support Ble (Bluetooth 4.0) a “Camera Adapter Kit” from apple is required to directly connect your Keyboard to the iPad.
Once you get the “Camera Adapter Kit” from Apple, you should be able to follow these steps to get it working on your iPad2:
- Unplug power from piano, unplug USB from iPad, and close McCarthy Music app fully
- Power on piano. Playing keys on the piano should show lights
- Plug USB into iPad. Playing keys on the piano should NOT show lights
- Launch app. The rainbow swipe should show on the piano and the connection light in the top right hand corner of the app should be blue.
- Make sure your “Ringer” switch is flipped to “On”. <— You will get no sound otherwise. This is a physical switch on the iPad next to the volume buttons.
- Open Safari or your preferred web browser
- Navigate to http://www.mccarthypiano.com
- Select Download from the top navigation bar
- Click on the “Download for Mac OS X” button
- The file will be downloaded onto your machine and placed in your Downloads folder
- Open your downloads folder and double click on the mccarthymusic dmg file
- Read the EULA and click "Agree"
- In the window that opens, double click the .pkg file
- Follow the steps in the installer to install the app
- You are now free to launch the app via your applications
- The McCarthy Music software is capable of being downloaded on multiple devices – all you need to do is login with your personal credentials, and your account will be on two different devices. Be advised that it takes a couple of hours for all credits and previous sheet music purchases to download onto the new device.
- Most first time users will get a message upon launching the program that says their device is not connected to the illuminating piano. Dismiss the message, and follow the instructions to connect your device.
- It’s convenient and innovative, but Bluetooth technology is still working out its kinks. It can be a little tricky to connect your device the first time. If after following the Bluetooth instructions, you’re still running into trouble, we recommend exiting and re-launching the app, and turning on and off the Bluetooth on your Illuminating piano. The good news is that once you get the connection to stick the first time, it should reconnect seamlessly for future use.
- Click on the “Add New” icon to add a new account. Select your avatar, and enter your information into the “Add New Account” page. Click “Save” when finished.
- Key Saver is a feature of the piano that causes the piano to self illuminate cycling through differnet key saver modes. Key saver is triggered by a period of inactivity that can be set via the "Saver Time" option.
- Please make sure that you have filled in all the fields in the profile settings page. To connect to the cloud and ensure you can download music from the Music Store, make sure you’ve selected “Store Profile in Cloud” and fill out the email and password fields.
- There two reasons why your password may be rejected. First, your two passwords entries much match exactly. There are also requirements to your password that must be met:
- It must be between 6 and 25 characters
- Password cannot contain empty spaces
- Currently, there is no easy way to transfer or send credits from one account to another. If you have any questions about purchasing credits, or need help with credits purchased under the wrong account, email: email@example.com
- Download new sheet music by clicking on “Store” from the main menu. Many songs require a certain amount of credits to purchase. To obtain McCarthy Music credits, simply select any song, and click on the “Get Credits” button. Alternatively, you and purchase credits from your profile settings page. Then follow the on-screen directions to enter your billing information. There are a number of songs in the Music store that are also free. Simply click “Download” on these songs to add them to your Sheet Music library.
- To purchase music from the store, you must have an account that is stored in the Cloud. You can change this in your profile settings
- All users of a device may access music purchased on that device, sharing to other users of a different device is not permitted.
- To change your theme, go to your user profile and select from the “theme” menu. Alternatively, when playing a piece, click on the “Display” icon and select a new theme.
- Each user profile has its own unlockable achievements. Click on any achievement to see what action is required to be awarded.
- You can earn stars by playing songs within learn and perform modes. Depending on the length and difficulty of the song each song has a maximum number of stars for each mode. Practicing only a few measures of a song will result in fewer earned stars for that mode.
- Free Play allows you to play the illuminating piano completely free of distraction! Without any guidance, enjoy playing or composing songs on your own.